Weird happenings on Tuesday the 13th

Weird happenings on Tuesday the 13th

Weird happenings on Tuesday the 13th
MILWAUKEE -- Blame the smoke.

With the roof closed Tuesday night due to cool temperatures and hazy conditions -- caused by smoke from wildfires in northern Minnesota -- there were a number of unusual plays at Miller Park in the Brewers' 2-1 win over the Rockies in 11 innings.

Things started to get interesting in the third inning, when the Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki popped a ball up off Brewers starter Zack Greinke that was headed for foul territory before striking one of the roof cables.

"I don't remember that ever happening before, ever," left fielder Ryan Braun said. "I'd never seen that before. It was a weird game. All the way around."

After hitting the cable, the ball was redirected toward Braun, who made an unsuccessful attempt to catch the ball. Home-plate umpire Tim McClelland ruled the ball hit the cable in foul territory, and was therefore foul. Tulowitzki would eventually strike out.

To end the third inning, Greinke threw a pitch that bounced away from catcher Jonathan Lucroy in front of home plate. Greinke made an impressive play on the ball, flipping it from his glove to Lucroy for the out at the plate as Mark Ellis tried to score from third.

The play was a combination of great communication and reaction by Greinke and Lucroy after the right-hander spiked a pitch in the dirt.

"I turned around and saw Zack running toward home plate," Lucroy said. "He was yelling, 'Stay there! Stay there!' I saw him flip me the ball and I just 'double kneed' the plate. I caught it and dropped both knees to the plate."

Braun also misplayed a ball in the fourth inning, first running in before chasing a ball over his head that turned into an RBI double. It was just one of a number of defensive miscues by the Brewers on the night, including a pair of throwing errors.

In the fifth, it looked as if the Brewers might put together a two-out rally when Nyjer Morgan reached first base on a dropped third strike, as the throw from Wilin Rosario hit him and got away. But the call from McClelland was that Morgan was out of the runner's box along the first-base line, resulting in the inning-ending out.

Closer John Axford got in on the act in the 10th, as he did not field a slow ground ball between the mound and first base. That forced first baseman Prince Fielder to scoop it up and quickly step on the bag to get Carlos Gonzalez by half a step.

Replays showed Gonzalez may have beaten Fielder to first base.

"I honestly, for a second, thought it maybe hit his foot. But I went after the ball, and then I thought I heard somebody yell 'Foul,' " Axford said. "So I just kind of pulled up, I looked at Prince and Prince kind of looked at me with a shock like, 'Ahhh.' I'm like, 'What?' And I looked over and saw him running down the line, and was like, 'Oh, no.' "