MILWAUKEE - To raise awareness and funding for breast cancer research and prevention, the Milwaukee Brewers, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and thousands of Brewers fans are joining forces for a placard display that will "Pink Out Miller Park."
On Saturday, September 6, the Milwaukee Brewers will face the St. Louis Cardinals at Miller Park at 6:10 p.m. Each fan attending the game will have a specially-designed card affixed to their seat, and at the end of the 4th inning, they will hold them up to form a giant image in the ballpark. The image (rendering attached) will turn the ballpark into a sea of pink and white, including ribbons that have become synonymous with efforts related to breast cancer research and awareness.
"The Journal Sentinel approached us with this concept recently, and we recognized immediately that it would be a great way to cap our many efforts related to breast cancer research, prevention and treatment," said Milwaukee Brewers Chief Operating Officer Rick Schlesinger. "Nearly everyone has been impacted by this disease, and we are grateful to be involved in what we know will be a memorable and impactful event."
"Pink Out Miller Park" is presented by Boston Store. Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin is the supporting sponsor.
Prior to the game, there will be many other related events occurring, including the following:
- Brewers President - Baseball Operations and General Manager Doug Melvin and his wife, Ellen, will do a check presentation of funds that were raised through their donations and a personal campaign. Proceeds benefit After Breast Cancer Diagnosis - ABCD, Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse, and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
- There will be an on-field presentation recognizing Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin for their efforts to defeat breast cancer.
- The Ceremonial 1st Pitch will be tossed by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Publisher Betsy Brenner, a breast cancer survivor.
- Breast cancer survivors will take the field with our starting lineup and stand with the players for the national anthem.
- A donation from Brewers Community Foundation will be made to support related charities.
"Journal Sentinel is proud to partner with the Milwaukee Brewers, Boston Store, Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center and After Breast Cancer Diagnosis to bring this historic 'Pink Out' to Miller Park and to Milwaukee," Brenner said. "It's a very visible demonstration of our shared commitment to end breast cancer in our lifetimes - and our support of the women and families who battle this disease every day."
In addition, fans can contribute to the cause through several on-site fundraising opportunities. Proceeds from the following initiatives will all go toward After Breast Cancer Diagnosis - ABCD and the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center:
- A raffle will be held on the Field Level Concourse. Prizes will feature a ceremonial first pitch before a 2015 Brewers game, a spot in a Mini Famous Racing Sausages race, an opportunity to watch batting practice from the field, and more.
- Pink hankies will be sold outside of Miller Park.
Fans will be encouraged to help raise awareness through social media, using the hashtag #PinkOutMillerPark.